Homemade wireless motorcycle turn signal backpack
- Опубликовано: 25 июн 2012
- The core parts of this project are 2 x Arduino Mini Pro 3.3V, 2 x nRF24L01+ radio transceivers, 16 x LilyPad Micro LEDs and a 860mAh LiPo battery.
The bike is a Suzuki Gladius SFV650 and the backpack is a Haglöfs Corker large.
Four weeks back I stumbled upon some random video using an Arduino micro processor. I viewed related videos and came across Leah Buechley's video showing her turn signal jacket.
This gave to an idea of my own. I wanted similar to the turn signal jacket, but I wanted mine on a backpack and I wanted it triggered wirelessly by my motorcycles existing turn signals.
At this point I had never worked with programming microprocessor or any other fancy electronics beyond installing heated grips on my bike and similar things. I ordered the basic Arduino Uno and started from there. At first, making a simple LED light up, triggering with a button, powering a hobby motor, those kind of things.
Then I came across a thread on the Arduino forums about an Arduino library for using a fairly cheap radio transceiver, the nRF24L01/nRF24L01+ Arduino library by James Coliz, Jr. aka ManiacBug. So I ordered three cheap modules from China and got them just in time for the Christmas holidays.
I did a lot of reading up, planning, finding products and got started with the backpack installment. Things didn't always go smoothly, but I did do a lot of incremental development and always tried to read up. I wrote and asked on forums and day by day I was gradually progressing.
After having finished the backpack I moved on to the bike installment and as before, had some issues with getting it working. I got loads of help from TeeRiver on the SFVRiders forum and I finally got the functionality for the bike installment working.
Earlier today I wrote the programming for both the backpack module and the bike module and about two hours ago I had finally neatly installed the bike unit and had everything up and running the way I wanted.
This project was loads of fun, I learned many new things and this entire project resulted in a unique motorcycle feature I think I'm the only one to have.